The European COPD Coalition is an alliance of stakeholders involved in preventing and treating COPD, and caring for COPD patients. The founding members are the European Respiratory Society (ERS), Pfizer, GlaxoSmithKline (GSK) and Boehringer Ingelheim.
Other members are: the European Lung Foundation (ELF), the International Primary Care Respiratory Group (IPRCRG), and CIBERES, Spanish network of excellence for respiratory research.
Parties interested in supporting the purpose, activities and programmes of the ECC are welcome to join the association as members. There are three categories of membership:
- patient and professional organisations relating to chronic obstructive pulmonary diseases (COPD) operating on a European level - these include patient and medical organisations, academic or scientific groups, entities, or communities within Europe. They form the category B of membership
- interested members of the life sciences, medical equipment, ICT and/or patient care industry that develop products and/or services intended to benefit patients with COPD. They form category A of membership.
- individuals, groups, entities, organisations or communities from the medical, academic, scientific and political community – interested in furthering the goals of the Association and that do not belong to the previous categories. They form category C of membership.
The rights of the members are as follows:
- all members are entitled to take part in the activities organised by the Association and to avail of the services provided by the Association;
- all category A members and all category B members may be represented at the Committee;
- all category A members and all category B members have a seat and vote at the General Meeting; and
- all category C members have a seat, but not a vote, at the General Meeting.
The Committee will seek to obtain a consensus on each decision tabled and will submit it to a vote only in the absence of consensus.
Other members (joined after the creation of ECC):